Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Us, declassified

Please allow me this confession. My blog post from yesterday has bothered me all day and so I'd like to offer this quick addendum if for no other reason but to clear my conscience. When I brought up the evidence of clinical psychotic behavior -- I mentioned it not in judgement, but in a weird mixture of hope, sadness and fear. (Read the heartbreaking article that I link to). I am an ardent supporter of mental health programming, and one of my fears is that there isn't enough (in fact its one of my primary grant writing subjects). Plus, the core of my Christian belief system is based on the notion that people cannot be classified, whatsoever. I think the classification of people is one of, if not the most tragic human tendencies throughout the centuries. To me, the DE-classification of human beings is the main point of Christianity, although it's mostly overlooked (at least in popular culture and certainly in conservative and evangelical communities). On top of that, the basis of my Lutheran faith is we are all simultaneously sinners and saints. I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't classify people according to pathological traits and I'm also sure that its a big reason the establishment hated him.

I wanted to entitle this post, "Do psychopaths go to heaven?" And then propose why we probably wouldn't like the answer to that question. And then explore why it's probably an irrelevant question. And then ponder why there's such a urgency to "charge" someone with a crime, even if they're perfectly innocent. But I don't have time and I just needed to attempt to get this off my mind. Anyway, I'm not trying to get all heavy, and there seems to be no good way to clear this up succinctly, so I'll leave it at that.

If that made no sense, please disregard.

My sincere thanks to everyone who sent me nice messages about my post yesterday. I really appreciate you and your consideration.

Time to find me some Tina Fey material. Feel free to post jokes. I promise to write something funny next time.

With love from yours truly,

Natural Born Bleeding Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment