Saturday, March 9, 2013

Hurdling trash while moving on up

If you're in Des Moines today, I hope you can stop by
Funky Finds Vintage & Retro. Think of me. 
Good morning lovely readers.

Today is vintage crawl day in Des Moines, a mid sized American city positively bursting with renaissance. Cultural activity busting loose. Artists, musicians, writers galore. For all the times I've been in the wrong place at the wrong time, we moved here at the right time.

Vintage lovers, here's the map to Vintage in the City, if you're able to check out all the cool shops popping up around town.

Me? I'm just eating my morning bowl of oatmeal (because it's Saturday I'm eating it in the kitchen, and not while driving through rush hour) and heading into the office. I am accepting offers of pity.

We are working on a big project. I've learned to mistrust supervisors and such who say they're working on a "big project" but trust me, this one is truly big. One day, I'll say more. How many people does it take to write a grant? I've lost count on this one. Blizzard? Crawl to work. Sick? Dayquil. Can't get out for lunch? Leftovers in the break room. There was a point on Thursday when I actually started roaming cubicals to see who else might be available to revise a chart. A generous colleague happily obliged. All of my co-workers have honored me by providing much, MUCH assistance in this big project, which was nothing more than a big pile of papers five days ago (because there was another big project due last week). As an fyi, I intended to use the word big seven times in a row. Not to brag, but I feel like we put together a full fledged graduate thesis paper in approximately 120 hours. And I'm really not bragging because it's been a team effort. In an action unheard of previous to yesterday, I gave my executive director an assignment and a deadline, requiring her to work over the weekend. If you know me, you know I generally do not tell my superiors what to do (which hasn't always worked in my favor, but I'm inherently old school with lines of authority, and well, I'm just plain old).

So this picture on the Funky Finds Vintage & Retro site cracked me up. Doing housework with white gloves and a treasure trove of garbage receptacle choices. Analyze that. I would if I had time, but seriously, I'm working on a big project and must go. I'm thinking of all the lucky people who are hopping vintage shops today. Wishing I was there. Hoping for the future.

Thanking you for coming over to my blog.

With love from yours truly,

Natural Born Bleeding Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment