Friday, December 20, 2013

Sk8r boy in bell choir

Hello friends, here's an excerpt from a post I was grateful to write for the Living Lutheran:

I also like to watch one particular bell choir member, my son, the 14-year-old skater boy with long curly hair and dude attitude. On a Sunday morning when they ring, as soon as I find my place on a red cushioned pew, usually packed with people, I look up to see him. We make eye contact. He’s always watching to see if I’m watching. We give our secret little wave. I burst with maternal joy, yet resist the urge to record him and the choir of choirs on my iPhone because the experience is too tremendous to capture.

We call him “skater boy” because that’s what he is. This ninth-grade kid could spend hours and hours on downtown streets with his be-hooded, long-haired friends and respective skateboards. They skate in empty parking ramps and in front of the Y that’s soon to be demolished. I’d much rather see him involved in some kind of structured activity like, say, swimming or drama or cross country or band. He’s interested in none of these things, no matter how many times I inquire, no matter what incentives he’s offered.

With thanks to the fabulous people at Living Lutheran, I invite you to read this full post at: http://www.elca.org/en/Living-Lutheran/Blogs/2013/11/131121

No comments:

Post a Comment