Monday, May 13, 2013

Peace, love and road trip

Hello lovely readers and thank you for coming over to my blog, where we are kicking off road trip season with a shameless reposting of my Facebook status update from February 11, 2013. My road trips come hard these days, this one squeezed in-between $15.2 million dollars worth of deadlines (which I'm pleased to say have mostly paid off by now). On February 11, I had an opportunity to spend four hours and 17 miles to discover the highways and byways of this great country. It was awesome. Here goes:
 
Terri Mork Speirs, Facebook Status Update, February 11, 2013 -- You never know what will happen when you indulge in four hours of vacation time. This morning I pre-planned the morning away from work so I could take my daughter to get her driver's license. (Done.) To avoid the long lines we went to a courthouse in a sleepy little town outside of Des Moines, a quaint farm town called Adel. (I can't believe how few times we go into the countryside and we in Iowa for land sakes.)


Anyway, it felt so roadtripping-free to drive westward, even if it was only 17 miles. At the license bureau, a tiny multipurpose room with three clients waiting in line, we were both surprised that the clerk was a distinguished Latino with a whiff of gray hair. He was servicing clients in English while training in another clerk (who looked kind of Irish to me) in Spanish.


This is rural Iowa, friends.


I know some of you may be saying "why should a clerk speak Spanish" but I say why not? It was the most civilized drivers license bureau I've experienced. Anyway, afterwards we found a bookstore cafe a few blocks away and shared a homemade buttermilk biscuit and farm fresh eggs; tasted pretty much out of this world. And then, a book practically leaped off the shelf and into our breakfast table (see pic). To top it off, there was enough change on the bottom of my purse to buy it.

Congratulations to my lovely daughter, light of my life, for getting her license. Now back to work because, whoa boy, do I have deadlines. First, I'll read a poem while the girl drives us back to reality.

Below is the poem I read aloud (but not nearly as well as Alfre Woodard) with Teengirl at the wheel. More road trip posts to come. Where have you gone lately?

With love from yours truly,

Natural Born Bleeding Heart


No comments:

Post a Comment